Tuesday, January 25, 2011

trabajo! trabajo! trabajo!

Well, looks like twice a week I will be tutoring a spanish girl with her english and will be getting paid 15 euros an hour. Sweet! Not sure how I am able to do this, and she will probably teach me as much as I teach her, but I am really excited. She's 14, and I get to go to their house and see a traditional spanish lifestyle. I think I'm really getting the full experience out of this trip. I also had coffee with my intercambio, Zadith today, and her friend Jorge who was the one that moved me into my apartment. They were really nice and fun, and were forcing me to speak in spanish. Definitely good for me, definitely hard. But they laughed at my hand motions and made it easy to talk to them. I was late to class because of this coffee date, but explained to Sara that I was practicing spanish therefore shouldn't be in trouble, in fact I should be rewarded. They want to take me out and explore the town, and I want them to cook for me and take me salsa dancing. Having local friends is pretty sweet. 

Last night Maria made mexican rice and I made a chicken with tomato, basil, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese thing that was delicious. I finished mine in about two seconds, and looked up to see Maria shocked. I then told her she should see me eat chipotle.... then I thought about chipotle and got sad. But, we are becoming quite the housewives. She has a mexican chicken stew thing brewing in the kitchen right now that will be ready when we get home from shopping. So cute. 

I'm booking my trip to Rome this week, and meeting up with Adriana for the weekend. We are going to do all of the touristy things and see everything we can. CANNOT WAIT to eat delicious pasta and italian food. 

In class we learned all about the Basque region, and the language. My teacher is from the Basque country and it seems like an interesting place. I haven't been this stoked to learn things in a long time. I like my classes at home, but here I care more about learning everything I can and soaking it up, as opposed to getting a good grade and memorizing things for the test. Thats how college should be. I spent my free time today writing down all the words I learned today and writing down other words I didn't know. And, that is for my sole benefit because I need to learn it to survive, not because I'm being graded. I hope that's how doctors feel when they are in school. And I wish I felt that way always. Maybe when I get home I will. Or I'll just change my major to spanish. I mean I did want to change it to architecture recently, but those dreams were crushed when I learned I graduate next year and am cut off after 4 years of schooling... shoot. I'll just find a spanish husband who is loaded and he will pay for me to go to architecture school and then he will teach me spanish. Hope you are laughing right now mom. I am :) I think you may be the only person who reads this, and I just write in it to assure you that I am in fact still alive. So, for todays post, I'm still alive mom. And dad, if you are reading this as well. 

Well, off to get a blanket because it is COOOOOOOLLLLLDDDDD and the feeling I felt when I woke up this morning was one that I hope to never feel again. I also am getting a warmer jacket, to prepare for the snow on Thursday. Never complaining about my 5 minute walk to Chico campus in January ever, ever again. Psych who am I kidding, I know I will. 




1 comment:

  1. Your mom isn't the only one that reads it, I do too! Glad you are having fun! Kim

    ReplyDelete